:: Fulton County Living ::
Riceville, about one and a half miles southwest of Mayfield village, and situated on
Mayfield creek, was settled about the same time as Mayfield Corners. Between the
years 1785 and 1830, Riceville was a flourishing little village, containing at one
time two taverns, four stores, a grist mill, saw mill, foundry, distillery, clothier's mill,
skin mill, school house and several dwellings. The owners of the real estate,
Messrs. Clark and Clancey, became involved in lawsuits with each other to such an
extent that in a few years the business of the place entirely left it, the mills and
machinery went to decay, and Riceville remained a desolate place until a change
of owners, when it tried ti regain its lost fortune. But in the meantime Mayfield
village grasped the opportunity, and became and remains the business center of
the town. Riceville now contains two skin dressing mills, a grocery store,
school house and about 18 or 20 dwellings.
* "History of Fulton County," by Frothingham, Washington. (C) 1892. Syracuse, NY. D. Mason & Co.,
Printers and Publishers.
In her letter, Mary Rice Creekmore states that Oliver Rice was no Colonel, but was
a messenger boy on horseback running between camps in Connecticut. He came
as a young man three years after the peace negotiations (1785) with Ebenezer, his
younger brother, to buy land and make the first dwelling for them. Ebenezer settled
in Stump City, married a Johnstown girl, and is buried in the Gloversville cemetery
at Kingsboro and State Street. Oliver then bought his land a few acres at a time
until he had 41 acres.
Click here to read the entire letter.