:: Fulton County Living ::
|Riceville School Mayfield, New York
of logs probably just north of the one built at a later date. The land was donated by Oliver Rice and the
school had a big fireplace in the center. In 1892 the only pupil living was Mrs. Rosanna Richardson,
who attended the original school. The back logs of fireplace answered for blackboard and charcoal for
were about 45 pupils. Some names were Baltus Dixon, John Roberts, Heman Close, Chas. and Rich
Woodworth and Malorys.
In 1890 - 1900 a rev. John Thompson who attended the school recalled that there were about 60
pupils. Mrs. Pearl Blowers taught there between 1920 - 1924. There were about 40 desks which
replaced the plank benches. Some of the teachers were Harold Chartier, Miss Molly Gilbert, Miss Rhea
cents a week to clean the floor and noted that it was difficult to keep teachers as the pupils were a
In the 1970's a family by the name of Dingman owned it and it got pretty much worn down. Steve
Miller, contractor, purchased it and it was used for storage. The Historical Society had the opportunity
to purchase the school but after much consideration decided against it as it was in very poor condition
and would probably not survive the moving trip. The school was in operation until about 1940. In 1913
electricity was installed in time for Christmas. The school closed in 1941.