:: Fulton County Living ::
This mill was originally erected by Sir William Johnson to
increase settlement into the
Mayfield Patent. It was located here
on the Mayfield Creek that emptied into the Sacandaga Vlaie.
It was run by Abraham Romeyn after the Revolutionary War.
Romeyn was a captain in the post war in the Montgomery
County Militia. This area was originally Shawville, named after
Captain Shaw, a Civil War officer who resided at the southeast
corner of the intersection of Lakeside Drive and South School
Street.

LOCATION: Located on the bridge of the Mayfield and
Sacandaga Lake on South School Street.
Click on image to enlarge
Romeyn's Grist Mill
The site of the first grist or flour mill in the town is that now occupied by the grist and saw-mill of Edward A.
Elphie on Mayfield creek at Shawville. It was erected under the direction of Sir William Johnson in 1773, but
was burned during the revolution. The mill was confiscated with other tory property, and at the close of the war
was sold to a son of Rev. Mr. Romeyn, who rebuilt it and carried on business there for a number of years. It was
known at that time as Romeyn's Mills, and the creek upon which it was located was called Romeyn creek, but in
1795 the property came into the possession of a man named Bogert, who conducted it for a few years and then
sold to William A. Wells. He operated it for a time and then sold it to Robert Zule. The mill passed from his
hands into the possession of Horace Stanley, during whose ownership it was rebuilt. About forty-five years ago it
was purchased by Sidney Chase, and from him the property came into the possession of Mr. Elphie, its present
owner. The mill has an excellent water power and is fully equipped with modern machinery.
Excerpt from HISTORY of MAYFIELD, NY
FROM HISTORY OF FULTON COUNTY
REVISED AND EDITED BY: WASHINGTON FROTHINGHAM
PUBLISHED BY D. MASON & CO. PUBLISHERS, SYRACUSE, NY 1892
As printed in the pamphlet
Fulton County Roadside History 2009