:: Fulton County Living ::
The Sacandaga Valley
We will be adding more photographs along with the reason this thriving valley was flooded,
making many long life residents both dead and alive removed. There is a DVD called
Harnessing Nature and you may view that DVD at this web-site.
Please order this wonderful video which includes our historians and well known Sylvia Parker.
Marooned F.J & G  engine being towed as the valley is flooded
Disappearing Tracks as the Valley Flooded
The Sacandaga Valley was inhabited mainly by the Bear Clan of the Mohawk and the Turtle and
Wolf Clans lived near by. These natives did not live in tepees, but in villages of longhouses which
were located on hills and well guarded. These families grew corn, beans, and squash. They
supplemented their diet with hunting and wild fruits.
F.J & G  employees trying to bring up the tracks whilst the water rises
Engine being pulled by tugboat as the waters overtake the tracks
Today, the term most often identifies a large but man-made lake situated north of the city of
Amsterdam and in the southern Adirondacks. During the eighteenth century, it identified the
Sacandaga River which ran through what became the "
Sacandaga Patent" on its way east into the
upper Hudson River. The initial partition of the Sacandaga "valley" by the province of New York is
related to the real estate ambitions of a number of early Albany people.
On November 4, 1741, the petition to the royal governor's council of Leendert Gansevort, Henry
Holland, Corns. Ten Broeck, Jacob Wendell, Abr'm H. Wendell, Johannes H. Wendell, Johs. Hun,
Abr'm Dow, Peter Winne, Garrit Corns. Van den Bergh, Dow Fonda, John Lindesay, Anna widow of
Johs. Everts Wendell, and Edward Holland was granted. The patent comprised 28,000 acres and
was located in the Fulton and Hamilton County towns of Johnstown, Mayfield, Broadalbin, and Perth.
Perhaps the first survey/map was drawn by Edward Collins in 1740.
Numbered lots located with these lands remained in the families of some of the Albany patentees for
many years. The "single woman" Geesie Wendell (daughter of an original patentee who bequeathed
her share to family members in 1783) was one of them.
Until the 1930s, late winter runoff created flood conditions in the upper Hudson Valley. After
construction of the Conklingville Dam (closed in March 1930) created the Sacandaga Reservoir, the
almost annual overflow and flooding along the Albany waterfront was mostly alleviated while not
completely controlled.
Before the valley flooded - you can see the Sacandaga River in the distance