|Vail's Mills is a hamlet with a post office, in the southeast part of the town, and was
settled from 1790 to 1793 by Daniel Lefferts who owned the first saw mill with
others. In 1804, William Vail, grandfather of the present owner, came from
Connecticut and purchased the property now owned by Isaac George, Esq.,
together with that now owned by his grandson. Vail's Mills contains a hotel, school
house, store and post office, grist mill, saw mill and planing mill, wagon shop, tin
shop, tannery, mitten shop, kid shop, blacksmith shop and about thirty dwellings.